Echoreyn-of-Athens-button-rounded-homepage Echoreyn-of-Athens-button-rounded-about Echoreyn-of-Athens-button-rounded-Concert-Picks Echoreyn-of-Athens-button-rounded-venues youtube Facebook-icon twitter

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Kristen's Concert Picks: Back to Athens edition


For a lot of us, August means it's time to return to Athens. However, whether you've been there all along or you've never set foot in the great music city of the southeast, this is the perfect opportunity to check out some new tunes! After quite a bit of extensive research, I've compiled a list of musical treats guaranteed to caress even the most discerning of eardrums. And now, without further ado, I give you my recommendations for the lovely little month of August. Please do enjoy!

DATE: BAND/ EVENT @ TIME @ PLACE

Wed, Aug 12: Doctor Squid & Venice is Sinking @ 9 PM @ The Melting Point
-Two of my favorites playing together on one night? Amazing! Most tragically, I won't yet be in Athens then, but please go see them if you can so that I can live vicariously through you! With both bands sharing a mixture of their familiar and their brand new songs, this show is going to be nothing short of wonderfully delicious!

Thurs, Aug 13: Wormsloew @ 9 PM @ The 40 Watt Club
-I have yet to see this band live, but they passed my Athfest-Myspace test quite awesomely, so be sure to check them out!

Fri, Aug 14: Deaf Judges @ 9 PM @ WUOG.com
-The Deaf Judges, known in this blog for their climbing stint during Athfest, will be rapping up a storm on UGA's own student run radio station, WUOG. Go to http://www.wuog.org to listen in!

Fri, Aug 14: DJRX @ 11 PM @ Sideways
-Our favorite pop music DJ is back to send us dancing into the next school year. I can never get sick of that Free Credit Report Dot Com song!

Tues, Aug 18: The Winter Sounds @ 9:30 PM @ Caledonia Lounge
-These guys played last year after my very favorite band, and they still managed to impress me with their sound; quite a hard feat, I assure you! Lend them your ears for the night. They'll treat them well!

Sat, Aug 22: Rachel O'Neal @ 5:30 PM @ Terrapin Beer Co.
- Rachel's soft and beautiful acoustic tunes will help you
start your evening off right!

Sat, Aug 22: Death on Two Wheels @ 8:00 PM @ Tasty World
-These rockers from Atlanta sure know how to put on a show! Let them satisfy your hunger for true rock.


Sat, Aug 22: Excali Brah @ 8:30 PM @ Flicker Theatre
-Remember the glow stick rave party at Athfest? I promise you, you're in for a night full of fun with these guys!


Thurs, Aug 27: Aman Amun @ 9 PM @ the 40 Watt Club
-Opening for Boombox, Aman Amun will give you one of the most amazing immersive experiences you'll ever have! His incorporation of technology into his acoustic music is sure to engage all of your senses at once.
Both his sound and his show can only be described as unforgettably spectacular!

Fri, Aug 28: Wilx @ TBA @ Terrapin Beer Co.
- If you want to rock with a band whose songs and covers will
get you dancing, look no further than Wilx. I've never seen a band get the audience so enthused!

Sat, Aug 29: Efren @ 8:30 PM @ Flicker Theatre
-For beautiful folk-infused indie rock, look no further than Efren. His acoustic songs have such a calming effect, they could relax even the most agitated person in the world. There's a refreshing earthy quality to them as well that makes you want to listen to them while sitting on a lone hilltop. Check out his latest tunes here!

Sat, Aug 29: Modern Skirts & Excali Brah @ 9:30 PM @ the 40 Watt Club
-Whoa! A double punch of awesome from some of the biggest up-and-coming groups in Athens! The Modern Skirts are well on their way to becoming Athens royalty, and Excali Brah sure knows how to throw a party. This is definitely going to be epic!

Mon, Aug 31: Sean Astin @ 7:30 PM @ Tate II on the UGA campus

-Okay, so you caught me. This isn't a band. But seriously, it's freaking Sean Astin, Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings! My inner nerd wouldn't let me finish writing this blog without mentioning this too. Oh yeah!

And that's all I've got so far... I'll be updating this list regularly as I find out about new shows, so keep checking back often. After all, I know you don't want to miss anything! Oh, and if you happen to think that I've made some grievous error or if you know of a show or band that you believe should most certainly be on this list, comment and tell me so!

Hope this helps you usher in a brand new, fantastically exciting school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment